Well, Shelby let me know awhile ago she got this and even was sweet enough to come leave me a comment here. So I think it is probably safe to show you what I came up with for the bookmark I sent her. :)
I just foundation pieced the cotton scraps to the heaviest interfacing I had for the base. Then I stitched over the seams with a variegated thread using what ever stitch looked interesting out of The Embroidery Stitch Bible. All I had to carry around was the book (One of the reasons I love this particular one is it's tiny.), a couple of precut threads and the bookmark. With the interfacing on the back I didn't need a hoop and the little lines of stitching were so short I was picking out a new stitch in just a few minutes. To finish it, I machine sewed a back on it.... like making a pillow case, turned it right side out and top stitched down close to the edge. I really should make more of these. It was a fun little project.